The Swedish National Debt Office is the central government financial manager. We play an important role within central government, on financial markets and, consequently, in the national economy.
We are a public authority responsible to the Ministry of Finance. The Government appoints our board and our Director General. The Debt Office was established in 1789.
The Debt Office’s assignment includes:
- providing banking services for the central government
- raising loans and managing central government debt
- providing state guarantees and loans
We have also been assigned to promote consumer protection and ensure the stability of the financial system by:
- being responsible for the deposit insurance and investor protection schemes
- managing government support for banks'
Our overall objective
The overall objective of the Debt Office is to minimise the costs of central government financial management without taking excessive risks. Our work helps to ensure that taxpayers’ money is used as efficiently as possible and that the financial system remains stable.
Our vision is to make the Debt Office a role model in Sweden as well as internationally.